Bakehouse Diary


A recipe is just a directed acyclic graph…

In the last post I handwaved the way I represented bakery formulae in the bakery database, so here’s a little more detail. It helps to think of a bakery formula as a node on a directed acyclic1 graph with weighted edges, where the weights are literally weights. Here’s the graph a for a couple of products


Running a bakery on Emacs and PostgreSQL

Just over a year ago now, I finally opened the bakery I’d been dreaming of for years. It’s been a big change in my life, from spending all my time sat in front of a computer, to spending most of it making actual stuff. And stuff that makes people happy, at that. It’s been a huge change, but I can’t think of a single job change that’s ever made me as happy as this one.

Bakehouse Diary

Back to the bakehouse

I know! It’s been a while. But we’re in! I have baked, and it was good. There’s still a ton of stuff to do (plumbing, mostly) but the really important bits of kit are all in place and looking good.

We celebrated getting in by turning one of the decks up as high as it would go and making lots of pizzas and a few loaves of bread.

Figure 1: An early pizza

Figure 1: An early pizza


Bakehouse Diary

Weeks 3–11 - Hurry Up and Wait

Doesn’t time fly when there’s nothing much you can be doing? Right now we’re pretty much where we are back in week three, except that Dad is slowly progressing on building the lifting frame which we’re going to use to reassemble the deck oven in my garage so I can finish the process of either getting the rust off the soles, or replacing them with ‘stone’. Apparently steel has been ordered so it’s just a matter of time.

Bakehouse Diary

Week 3 – Musical interlude

It’s the first week in August. As soon as I finished my programming work, I drove down to Sidmouth for a couple of days of folkie immersion.

Photographic evidence


Bakehouse Diary

Week two – SQL

Not much progress on the “getting the oven ready front this week”. I sheared another machine screw!

Drat! Another machine screw sheared

At least this one was on the retaining bar that holds the oven soles in place; I’d rather not have sheared it, but since I’m going to be drilling stuff out anyway, it’s not the end of the world. Basically I’m blocked on doing much more with the oven ‘til I’ve moved the decks and got them the right way up rather than on their sides because I don’t want to undo the last screw in the retaining bar and cope with a couple of large lumps of metal and (possibly) the insulation and heating elements falling out. Once the ovens are the right way up, gravity will be my friend.

So, I’m going to talk about the software side of things.


Bakehouse Diary

Week one – Rust

Almost a year ago now, I hired a tail lift van and hared off down to the Isle of Wight to fetch my lovely ‘new’ deck oven.

They don’t make ‘em like this any more